Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Trip to Goblin Valley/Capital Reef National Park



Over Memorial Day we decided to take the kids on an adventure. James was the one that wanted to go see the goblins so we decided to make it a camping trip. We left early Monday morning and traveled through Price Utah. We stopped there at the cemetery to pay respects to my brother Eric. It had been so long since I had been there I thought I would not remember where he was buried, but my internal GPS still works like a champ.

After stopping in Price, we then headed for Goblin Valley. The children were so excited. I was a little nervous since this would be our first time camping together as a family and trying to get the kids to sleep. The kids had a blast playing on the rock formations.







After playing on them for a while we headed to our camp site we picked in Fruita. When we got there, Joshua threw up because of heat exhaustion. Boy was he a trooper. It then took us about an hour to get the tent set up. Sleeping with all the kids was an experience. Kaleb woke up during the night and Pris had to put him back to sleep. The next day was crazy. I had forgotten to pack a spatchula so I had to use a paper plate to flip the pancakes. I am glad that worked out. Then we went and saw all the historic sites and then did a 'little' one mile hike. This hike was mostly in the up direction. We made it about 3/4 of the way and called it good because I had to carry Kaleb most of the way. Too bad I did not have backpack for him. In all, the trip was fun and the kids loved it.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That sounds like fun. Getting kids to sleep, anywhere, even their own beds can sometimes be a challenge! I think we are going to try this trip out sometime!

Zach and Sarah said...

I can't believe I've never been there. You guys have inspired me to make it a priority.